Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Want(and want and want and want and...)

"My eyes are bigger than my stomach." "Always wanting more"

That's me!

I always want more. More money, more space, more stuff, more clothes, more mail, more flowers, more friendship, more solitude, more (fill-in-the-blank).

I woke up this morning feeling pretty good. No pain or rush to be anywhere.

I baked a cake yesterday, and put it together (this was my first cake in over 10 years!) but it turned messy because of the marshmallow cream in the middle. So, it's in the fridge, and it's very tasty. It isn't as pretty as I expected. I learned: marshmallow cream needs a "well" to be used in the middle of a cake, and pipe it in.

It was "supposed to be" devils food cake, marshmallow cream and cherry pie filling in the middle, and chocolate fudge frosting with shaved bitter chocolate sprinkled on top.

It never got the bitter chocolate on top. No worries - it's still delicious!

Another aspect of my life...

My girlfriend's husband passed. She'd spent 13 weeks caring for him while he was in and out of the hospital, rehab centers and nursing homes. Because she was there, he lasted 13 weeks. The horror stories she told me of his treatment, nearly daily, were incredible!

He's out of pain and in a better place, and she's shattered, picking up the pieces. The visitation is tonight and funeral tomorrow. I'm booked for this evening and can't be there for her tonight, but I'll be at the funeral. From now on, I'll be at her elbow in meetings, in social settings and so on.

She chose me, and I'm very grateful! I love her - she's so much like me! She would be the girlfriend I had in Jr High if we'd grown up in the same places. I've been so lonely, and to finally find "that girlfriend to hang with" after 7 years, is really cool. I'm sorry she's had to go through this, this pain and loss.

Apparently she inherits a bit of property, so she wants some shielding and to hang with women right now. Smart decision, really. From what she's told me, the sharks are already circling. If there's one thing I do know how to do, it's repel men...

No comments: