Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Feeling Better, But....

I heard this is the crud going around that turns into pneumonia....

She said it's pH related. So, no coffee, no dairy, no sweets, no citrus, no beef or pork, and so on...

Eat as alkaline as possible, keep the tissue from swelling.

During sleep, my nose is clear. I get up, it starts to congest and run again. I figured I just needed to vacuum, which I do anyway. One person has had this for 8 weeks and is still sick. I've had it for 2+ weeks, and I'm over it.

So, I'll adjust my diet, which I was doing anyway, and maybe even feel a little better.

------

Meanwhile, I've been crocheting. I hit the sales right after Christmas and got more yarn. I ran out of yarn (or very close) for my coat project. I'll try the framework again next week, and begin laying out some of the larger pieces to see where I am as far as how much I still need to crochet. I am sure that I don't have enough pieces, but I wonder if I need another run to the yarn store...

------

And another update on Walmart-
They are closing their crafts/yarn/fabric section.

I boycott Walmart. They come in to a town, undercut all the prices of all the mom-n-pop stores, and put them out of business. OK, low prices are great, but these little stores have been around forever and have a lot of variety in them. They are fine-tuned to the neighborhood where they are located, or they wouldn't still be in business. Suddenly, you have to go to Walmart, and some of the speciality items are no longer available.

Next, Walmart stops carrying whole lines, like the crafts/fabric/yarn section they are pulling out of the local store. Now, you can't find those items within a 200 mile radius. Whole ways of life are being changed and ruined by Walmart because of their predatory tactics.

I believe in shopping locally. Groceries, produce, mom-n-pop stores. There are some chains/franchises that I will use, such as Pet Supplies Plus. That is a regional chain - Tennessee and North Carolina, a little in Virginia. They are not nationwide. I stopped using Walgreens as much. I go to a large chain grocers because that's what is available, but Food City is my choice, and the chain is not as large as the other chain in town. I also like their produce better.

I like Earth Fare, which is a local green-grocer chain. They are knocking on the door of the chains, and they carry more of the healthier choices and brands than the others. I'm not always in the neighborhood for them, though. We also have a food co-op here that I frequent, Three Rivers.

Shop locally. Support your local infrastructure. If you don't, you won't have a job or a place to shop pretty soon. And your opinion won't count! Remember that special item that you could always get at the neighborhood shop that isn't available anymore?

It used to be that if I wanted something special, the manager of the grocery store would order it. Not so much anymore. I have to go to several stores, looking, and maybe find it - or not. I end up requesting it or getting it online a lot of the time. Costs more that way.

So, support the local shops. You never know when your choice will be taken from you. Good prices aren't the only reason to shop somewhere.

No comments: