Thursday, January 27, 2011

State of the Union

I've been asked several times what I thought of Obama's State of the Union Address. I'll tell you the truth, I didn't listen.

The way I figure it, he was hired for 4 to 8 years by the people of this country. At 2 years, there's a "referendum" vote, as Congress and the Senate are shuffled around. That kind of tells him whether we like what he's doing or not. The results were mixed this last election.

Next election, we either vote to keep him another 4 years or we replace him. If we liked what he did, we generally keep him on.

It's like any other temp job. And even not-temp jobs!

I like the attitude expressed in the movie "Dave." It's a temp job. Even if we keep a President on for a full 8 years, it's still a temp job.

So, keep asking, and I'll keep telling you. If my life is better, I like him. If my life is worse, I don't. If I think things will get better if I keep him in office, I'll vote in a way to show my approval. If I'm pessimistic about the future because of his programs and policies, I'll vote against him. It's that simple.

And it isn't just Mr. Obama that I feel this way about. I was this way about the last 4 presidents. Even Mr. Clinton had my input this way. And Mr. Reagan, Mr. Bush and Mr. Bush Sr. I even had my opinions on Nixon and Ford.

So, don't ask me and don't send me e-mails about how good or how bad somebody is in that chair. You aren't in that chair. Whoever is in that chair, in that office, has a lot to think about and a lot to do. I'll tell you how I feel with my vote.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Morgan.. did you notice there was no mention of social security or medicare? The GOP plans to raise the onset of the age to draw your first social security check to 70. Also, their intention is to hand our vouchers to seniors with medicare. Want to hear the good news? Anyone 55 and over will be excluded from these changes. I can't think that Obama would not veto such bills on his desk.