Sunday, May 17, 2009

Step 3 - Made a Decision

Step 3 says we made a decision to put our will and our lives into the care of a power greater than ourselves.

It doesn't matter what/who that power is. What matters is that we make the decision to do it.

"Acting as if..."

It helps to "act as if" I am sane again. I have to believe that there is something greater than me who is helping me to act rationally around food and my emotions. I have to believe that I can do the next right thing. I have to have faith.

"Acting" is not something I can do in my head. "Acting" is an outward directed behavior. It means that my actions show sanity - even if I don't feel very sane inside. I have to put my will - my desire to act - in the power of something greater than myself.

For me, my higher power is the 6-Week Body Makeover plan for now. The mechanics may change, the name of the program may change - but this program has a guarantee that if you do it, you will see results. I will give that a try.

I also have a more spiritual higher power. That will become apparent later as I work on the emotional component to my weight issue.

----------

I recently went through another program - not 12-step based, but very thorough. It was the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University. 7-Steps to financial peace. I'm still at Step 2, paying off the debt, but that is normal. I'm almost through it. And I have some financial peace, too! I've tried a lot of financial plans and this one worked. Anyway, the guarantee that Dave Ramsey gives is really simple: Do the program and things will change; don't do the program and things won't change. No money-back. Just that.

The 6-Week plan has a similar guarantee, but they *will* give you money back after 6 weeks.

You throw out half the materials in the first few days when you set up the book. It's so personalized, that you toss out the stuff you don't need. What's left to return?

----------

So, I'll give it the 6 weeks, and apply my "food allergies" to it. I'm putting my faith in a program that works for others.

I don't "know" that it will work for me, but I'm willing to give it a try. I've been watching this item for a while - it is a reasonable plan to me.

On to Step 4.

No comments: