Sunday, May 17, 2009

Step 2 - Ask God for Help

Step 2 is to ask for Sanity from the power of the universe. God, Yahweh, Allah, Universal Intelligence - WHATEVER!!!

Ask for help...

The step reads that we humbly ask God to restore us to sanity. That implies that we had some sanity somewhere along the way.

It also means that we can't demand sanity. It's a humble request.

Then, there's this whole question of a power greater than myself. I almost forgot how hard that is for the newcomer to the 12-step model. I'm so used to it, that it is easy for me to just bypass this part.

Some folks have no faith, or they have lost their faith, or they blame God or the Universe for their plight. Get off that right now! We take the action - we eat the food. God didn't stuff it down my throat. I put it there, chewed and swallowed.

God didn't make me ignore the feeling of fullness - I did that and gradually stopped recognizing it. I hardly ever get hungry anymore, too. I don't recognize the feeling when it does happen.

Well, lately I do, but I haven't for a very long time.

So, You have to believe in something greater than yourself so you can ask it to help you. You have to ask for faith. It works.

On to Step 3

No comments: