Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sponsorship

I saw my general 12-step sponsor yesterday. She is so great!

We talked for about an hour, on all kinds of stuff that is making my head spin, so that maybe it will stop spinning.

She showed me her garden, and we shared family news.

In the absence of my food-sponsor's responses, we talked about the issues and insights I've had so far in that part of my recovery.

See, recovery is a way of life, not just putting a plug in the jug, or tossing the pills and pot. It's not just abstaining from the behaviors that show our sickness - they are the symptoms of the deeper disturbance in our thinking.

Keeping close with a sponsor is so important. I see mine at least once a week in a meeting, and I try to call at least once a week. I'm not big on phones, and she hasn't trusted me with her e-mail address - probably not sure of my spam settings. I rarely forward mail, but there is that occasional fun bit that comes that I'll send on.

Anyway, so we actually talk - on the phone or face to face.
My food sponsor is likely busy with grandkids or work, so I know she'll get back to me when she can. Meanwhile, I just follow the food plan and write stuff down.

If my sponsor hadn't been there when I hit a bottom at 12 years of recovery, I don't know what would have happened. I was a complete and total mess. She guides me in choices when I ask before I leap. I think I'll ask her if she would visit me in this location or that location when I go searching for home lots.

I have a dream for my new home, and she's part of it. Might as well include her from the start...

1 comment:

JoAnna said...

You do have an awesome sponsor. I am working on making it a way of life but it is not easy. I guess noone said it would be.