Sunday, May 17, 2009

Step 1 - Surrender

Last Wednesday, it was very clear to me that I eat over emotional issues. I was having a bad day at work and went to a store for candy and potato chips. As bad as my stomach has been, I just had to do that. It was clear that I was not thinking right.

I have a 12-step program background. I'll be using those to address the emotional/spiritual components of my weight issue.

If you are reading this and need to do this, I hope you will follow me - and maybe even try it yourself.

So, Last Wednesday was Step 1 - Surrender

I can't do this anymore and I have a problem.
I'm powerless over my emotions and eat because of them.
Why spend money on empty calories when I have a full larder?
Those empty calories affect my blood sugar, making it spike and putting me out for a couple of hours in a comatose-like nap. I was out for over 3 hours and had trouble waking up. That was a first. I usually wake up fine.

---------

No, I don't have diabetes, but I'm Metabolic Syndrome-X. That means that food affects me more than others. I produce an extra level of insulin because I'm insulin resistant.

You can get a blood test for this. A1-C levels tell you if you are diabetic - that's like a history of your blood sugar that they find in your blood. I don't know how it works, but that's what the doctors tell me.

My blood sugar readings are borderline-high in the morning, and low the rest of the day - sometimes really low.

----------


Ok, so I'm powerless and my life is unmanagable regarding food.

What to do about it? Ask for help...

Step 2.

No comments: