Monday, June 7, 2010

Beds and Sleep

Have you ever gotten a new bed and been unable to sleep? That's what's happened to me.

I got a new bed right about the same time I came home from the hospital. I haven't been sleeping well ever since. At first, I thought it was because of the surgery, but I realized it's the bed, and I'm reluctant to deal with it... They are very expensive!

However, every time the cats jump on the bed, it shakes and jiggles, and I wake up. It isn't their fault, but I kick them off the bed anyway. And then I can't get back to sleep, no matter what I do!

I spent the greater part of last night saying over and over again "My needs are met and I'm in good health" as a mantra of gratitude. It didn't help. You see, when I wake in the middle of the night, I'm crabby. I want to sleep, naturally. I start thinking about all the stuff that's "wrong" with my life, and then I get worked up, and can't sleep no matter how hard I try. So, the mantra usually helps. Not last night. I've been awake since 4:30AM again....

On the old bed, my hips would wake me from pressure points, but when the cats jumped on the bed, I didn't notice. There was no shake or jiggle. If one of the cats decided to take a bath, I only noticed if they were touching me. Now, every little movement shakes the whole thing!

I wanted a new bed, don't get me wrong, but I'm not the universal dumping ground. Just because someone wanted to gift it to me, doesn't mean it's the right thing for me. I guess I need to learn to say no to gifts...

This bed needs to go to the trash, or the thrift store! I need a hard bed that doesn't move and jiggle every time a cat jumps up on it. And I really don't like pillow top mattresses! Whoever thought up that great idea was nuts! I have a memory foam topper I use, and it works perfectly. I just want a hard box spring and a firm mattress that isn't more than 8" tall. My sheets barely fit over this thing!

So, out with the almost new, and in with the new!

Maybe I'll finally get some sleep!

The cats will be happier, too. They will get to sleep with me again....

No comments: