Thursday, August 4, 2016

Saying "Yes"

OK. I've been thinking about this for a LONG time, and the Universe got behind me and provided the coach I needed. I'm starting a training program for Triathlons. Not that I intend to compete, but I want to change my body and my outlook. I've always stopped myself before.

A friend turned out to have been in the same health position I find myself in -without the injuries, which is nice for her - and she turned it around about 9 months ago. Yep, A1c of 7.0+, fasting sugars in the 300s (both my numbers are lower) and weight creeping up. She and I both have sympathetic doctors and have not been "diagnosed" as diabetic. So that's a blessing of a sort...

She began training and lost the weight. She dropped her sugars and A1c to "normal" ranges. She's agreed to coach me into health using the Triathlon training model. 

There's a training model "Couch to -" which takes the subject from a couch potato to competing in some sport - whether it's a 5K or a Triathlon, or even Olympic sports... We are using the "Couch to Triathlon" model found at the Couch to Sprint Triathlon website. It's a simple, accelerated program. 

Since the "competition season" just ended, I'll have nearly a year to get into shape for my first competition - IF I choose to do so. 

I'll post updates as I progress. First is to get into the rhythm of doing it.

My first exercise is going to the pool and swimming 100 meters. I got signed up today. I don't have a suit that fits, but I have a form-fitting tank with a sportsbra and cotton swimming shorts. That will have to do.

A friend has offered me her bike, so I can ride the Tweetsie Trail as part of my biking requirement. I also have a stationary bike in the apartment building I can use.  

As for the Running - well... Doctor England, my knee doctor, doesn't want me on a treadmill. I don't intend to run on this knee, either. So, I'll "speed walk" as best I can to get my hips moving. That will be on the concrete sidewalks around here and the Tweetsie Trail. 

I've mentioned the Tweetsie Trail. This is one of the "rails to trails" projects found in the southeast, and is a pleasant little trail between Johnson City and Elizabethton, TN. It's gravel, packed dirt and concrete. I think there might even be some asphalt patches. It's been popular since it was completed. I live near the Appalachian Trail, so it may become possible that through this training I can hike some of it later on.  

Well, that's the news. Hope I don't disappoint myself by my results. I also hope I can keep up the training and don't flake on myself. I have a LOT of fear about this. Most of the fear has to do with body-image stuff. I get emotional and eat to keep myself heavy so that I don't feel "sexy" and attract men. That is why most of the "diet programs" I've tried haven't worked. There is a lot of emotional baggage that I carry which needs to be worked through. 

Having my coach will help. I have someone I'm accountable to. I have another woman I can talk to about the emotional issues. And truly, both these women can help me with the emotional baggage. I trust them. I also need to trust myself. At times, there WILL be tears. It's OK to cry and go through the pain. It's always better having been through it, when I come out the other side. The issues I'm dealing with are the biggest issues of my life. These are the things that have held me back over and over again. 

How does all this tie back to my book? Well, it's all about Type 2 Diabetes. A body that is overweight has a much higher chance of becoming diabetic. I'm severely at risk. The best example I can provide my readers is a successful outcome. 







No comments: