Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Housework, Preserving and Canning....

Well, it's that time of year. No matter what writing tasks I set myself, the seasons come upon me and I need to "deal with it."

This year, I've re-discovered the local farmers' market. It's about 4 blocks from my home, but I hadn't been there before. They were extremely generous when it came to the peppers. I needed 2 jalapeno peppers. I ended up with a lot of peppers - more than I knew what to do with.

The produce was amazing! I got grapes, a cantaloupe, some tomatoes, blueberries, peppers in profusion, cucumbers, and white peaches. The peaches turned in less than 3 days and I had to toss them. The only loss....

I've been using the blueberries in protein smoothies and eating the cantaloupe. The grapes are concords and have seeds. The skins are a little tough, but they are very sweet. Almost too sweet. I haven't eaten the cucumbers yet, but that's because no opportunity has presented itself. I keep wanting a salad and then cooking something instead. I'm baking off chickens today so I can eat caesar salad for supper tonight.

Here is the canned produce so far.
The jalapenos (2 small jars in the back) are just pureed with sugar. Don't ask me why - I don't know. I just know that's how it turned out. I removed the seeds before I processed them. The pickled peppers in the front small jar are red chiles and yellow banana peppers. The floating globs in the large jar on the right are 2 chiles in a slightly salty pickle and the tall red on the left is 8 peeled tomatoes, plain.

Peppers are a real pain to peel when you only have an electric stove! I used the broiler setting, but it wasn't very effective. And removing the seeds after - BOY! The capsaicin cleared out my lungs and I coughed a bit.  Even under running water.

I had to get some jars, of course. And by the time I got them, the quarts were gone. Only pint and half jars left. Oh well. I didn't have that size. I wanted some jelly jars, too, but decided against them. Glad I did that.

Housework - well, quarterly cleaning, of course!
Had to do the floors and stove, tub and bathroom, and pick up all the flying cat hair. The mess of cat hair is enough to make even the most hardened cat lover (me) have allergic sinuses. I went through 2 emptyings of the vacuum. I have only the living room rug (5x8) and a small rug (3x4) in the bedroom. But when they sleep on the rugs, cat hair just naturally sticks to the rugs....

As for writing, I finished the book I was reading and I have all the information filed and ready to use.  So, I turned the book in at the library. I guess I'm ready to write and write and write.

I've found other ways to avoid writing - like some crochet projects and an online multiple-player game. Like I need that distraction!

Oh well! The book will get finished when it's ready, I guess. As long as I write a little every day, I'm getting closer to the goal of finished.



No comments: