Sunday, August 29, 2010

It's Amazing!

It's now been a little over 6 months since I had regular work. No steady income to speak of - certainly not enough to pay the bills! I was thinking about school. It's just too expensive to pursue. And I was thinking about SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance), which I may still pursue. My voice keeps going out, and my joints hurt regardless of sitting or standing. And yes, some depression has creeped in, too.

My current status:
My car now needs $200 worth of work on the front end - Right Away!..
The car payments start up again this month, after re-financing the loan...
I need to make a trip to Virginia and see my family. My uncle is elderly, and I need to see him...
I have a roommate, helping with the house payment...
I have Food Stamps, so we have plenty of food...
Food Stamps wants me to apply for work (which I've been doing all along) so I now see how much effort I really put into it...
Small jobs keep coming to me, at just the right time...

Seeing how many jobs I apply for has been an eye opener. I apply to many more than that, since I also have the agencies looking for me. There are some jobs I don't write down, because of whatever reason: for Food Stamps, you have to get a name, phone number and address, and pretty much a lot of stuff that online applications don't give you. I have the option of applying online, as long as I can show the "successful application" page and print it. And those kiosks in stores? You don't have the option to print from those... So, I keep applying. I've done the required number already, and I'm not stopping.

Yep! Small jobs have been saving the day! A cat sitting weekend here, a website research project there; a Presentation update here, some office organization there; a care-taking overnight here, well you get the idea...

There isn't enough coming in to pay back the loans my family and friends gave me a couple of months ago. Only a job, or enough of the small jobs, will pull me out of this. But somehow, I've managed.

I know that God is running the show. If I ever had doubts before, I don't now. Prayer works! In the midst of all this, I've even been able to make a small donation to my church. A very small donation, to be sure, but at least I could send them something! I figured my friends and family would forgive that small delay...

The work on the car is covered by a job that I'm in the midst of right now. There may be enough to pay off the smallest of my medical bills and put some on another - and still leave me enough to drive to my family's place.

I've wanted to have the ladies over one evening since I moved into the house, so I set aside Sept 4th for that purpose. I've planned the menu, and I'll have to get some items for the Antipasto Salad, but I have everything else in the house for the planned menu. I've invited 20 women, expecting about 1/2 - 3/4 to show. There is seating for about 16. I'll pull out the Yahtzee! and some cards. So, even broke, on Food Stamps, and in restricted circumstances, we can have a nice evening.

That will take care of next weekend, pretty effectively, and keep me from driving to Virginia on a holiday weekend. So, I won't be leaving anytime soon to go visit my family. At least a 2-week delay, I figure. I'll have to get the funds from this job, take the car in, and then see where I am. I have to have the money for the car loan put aside before I go, too. At least a good portion of it. If the small Presentation jobs I've line up work out, then perhaps the following weekend?

Well, don't stop praying...

No comments: