Thursday, August 13, 2009

Packing!

I hate packing and moving more than dishes! And I hate doing the dishes! I hate all housework. It's dumb, futile, and useless busywork that needs to be done even when you don't want to do it.

But packing! That is something you volunteer to do. You do it because you want to MOVE someplace else. Yeah - my house, I know...

I moved so much as a kid that I really hate it. I lost so much stuff over the years that I would just as soon take the important things - photos, momentos, the cats, clothes and bathroom gear, and leave the rest.

I can't do that, of course.

I have to actually pack the books, the dishes, the knick-knacks, and CDs. I have to pack the clothes, the bathroom stuff, the pictures on the walls, the office supplies, the computers, all the JUNK that I accumulate to be able to live comfortably in one place.

I have 3 computers, 4 printers, an extra monitor and keyboard. I think I gave away the corded mouse, and all kinds of other junk for the computers. I have a whole box of just computer parts and pieces. That's not including all the ink cartridges (new, as the used ones will be recycled or tossed - NOT packed!).

I used to live like a snail, in a trailer that I connected to my truck when I wanted to move. That was so much more reasonable. Maybe not socially acceptable, but reasonable. I never had to worry about packing. When I finally sold that trailer and bought a bigger one, it took 3 van loads to move the stuff over. I had no idea I had so much stuff!

I won't even go into the expense of moving, as that's a whole different world altogether. This rant is just about the act of packing and pruning. The pruning part is good.

I get to go through all the junk and decide what to keep and what to toss. I have a lot of paper around here that will get tossed or shredded. That's a good thing.

Paper is heavy. My sister and I learned that from when Mom passed. It's a big pain to deal with when somebody dies - all that paper junk. I don't know how other people deal with it, but we actually have to read it - look it over and decide what to do with it. At least we did for Mom.

I don't want my sis to have to deal with that much paper when I go. I need to clear this junk out. Not that I'm planning to die anytime soon, mind you, but it takes a good bit of planning to not leave a mountain of paper behind.

It must be all those downed trees getting even with us. The weight of the paper.

No comments: