Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sleep??? Work???

What sleep??? What work???

I've been doing all the same things I've done for years to promote a good night's sleep, but it ain't happenin'....

I might sleep 2 hours (last night) or 4 (the night before) or, if I'm really lucky, 6 hours (Sunday night).

I wake up in the middle of the night - either to relieve myself or just to turn over, and can never get back to sleep. Last night, it was a dream that woke me. A dream about my mom. OK, really it was a memory. I heard her singing.

My mom could SING! She really had a nice voice. There were other things she didn't have - like a famous name or a great head-shot. But she had the voice.

I e-mailed a friend of mine to see if there was any way to track down a tape of mom's voice, and it seemed to be a dead end.

But, of course, it was 5am before I got done and went back to bed. I'd spent the time sifting through the job ads, because one of my worries is that projection I have of me: homeless, jobless, and on the streets. Hey - it's happened before, so it isn't that far-fetched! And that kind of worry can keep a body awake no matter what.

Well, I went back to bed, and was nearly defeated by cold feet. Finally, I got to sleep, only to be woken by the alarm. I re-set it for another hour, and then got up. I have stuff to do today - like follow up on those job leads.

Besides, I arranged to get a word processor today. Free, of course! If it works as well as I hope, maybe I can access the files of my dad's sermons, or at least write some more of my stories down.

I picked up a typewriter about a week ago. I need to get a new ribbon for it, but that's all. It works fine. If I can find some ink for the ribbon that's on it already, that will be a "greener" solution. The unit can also use one of those red/black ribbons, if I can find one.

I've been waiting for the plumber since Monday. I have sewer gasses coming from both toilets, and Habitat referred me to a plumber last week who said he'd come by on Monday, but he hasn't shown up. I've called him to follow up, and reported the non-response and no-show to Habitat.

Well, I have to get moving so I can get to the employment office. The temp services don't have anything, so maybe one of the 5 I found there will work out.

No comments: