Friday, April 2, 2010

Garden!

I found an alternative solution for the garden for this year - containers! Not my ideal, but it will work.

rain barrel from a trash canI built my first ever rain barrel yesterday. (You are looking at the overflow side.) It ended up costing about $40 or so, and that works out to less than 1/4 of the commercial jobs. I have a source for the white plastic barrels, too. They look better than a brown trash can. Both can be painted, for sure!

The beans aren't doing well in the planter. I may have to start over. The tomatoes will be going into 5 gallon buckets. Lots of drilling holes, and several cubic feet of potting soil. The strawberries are seeded, as is the stevia. I was able to rescue one artichoke and one brussels sprout. I'll need a flat planter for the greens, so I'll just make it up and leave it outside.

Planting outside here in Zone 6/7 isn't generally done till at least April 15-25. With my surgery happening on April 13 (confirmed), all the planting needs to be done before then. I'll have help around to carry the planters outside, but I want the stuff ready so there is produce this year.

As far as the rest of it, I want my house in decent order before then, too. So, I guess I'd better get off my duff, off the computer, and get to it!

See ya!!!!

No comments: