Saturday, July 4, 2009

Medical Procedures-

EGD and Colonoscopy - Already had new allergy testing...

MAN! $406 out in less than 3 weeks. No wonder I'm feeling very BROKE right now! And the tests are *not* pleasant!

The allergy testing took all morning and I was seriously sugar and water deprived by the end of that. I needed food *NOW* - and that wasn't enough. I had to use glucose tabs, too. At least they only did stuff on the outside of my body!

So far, the EGD (upper GI) was the worst - I was totally dehydrated when it came time - for a 2pm appt, and they kept me sitting around for another 2 hours --- and then couldn't get the IV started for the anasthesia.

Yeah! Right! Like that's going to be easy after that long without water....

I about went into shock. I said that (after the 4th stick) if they didn't get it going, I was leaving. No more. I'm all bruised and very unhappy about it all.

The test was pretty short after all that - and they did 2 biopsies. Not a good start to the process with this interior scanning.

The colonoscopy is Monday. I'm starting the prep today by eating a low-fiber diet and drinking a lot of fluid. Tomorrow is the nasty day - stay home, a liquid diet and other things I don't want to think about...

At least when they stick me for the IV, I'll be hydrated this time.

At my age, I guess you have to do this kind of thing. It's just really nasty, and I wish I didn't have to.

"Modern" medicine is still pretty stone-aged. I wish it was like on Star Trek, where you get scanned and they can tell all about your functions and there are no needles, no IVs, and no invasive surgery.

I can dream, can't I?

No comments: