Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Global Warming or Class War?

I wonder how much of global warming can be ascribed to the lower classes. After all, emissions from older vehicles, the ones they can afford, are higher. The only thing these folks can do to lower their carbon footprint is recycle. How many recycling bins are in the older, cheaply built apartments on the lower east side?

Yeah, that's right. Blame the faceless working class for all the troubles of the world today! Yeah, do it!

: = : = : = : = : = : =

OK, Stop getting all in a lather. That was sarcasm, after all!

But it does seem to me that we are expecting an awful lot of folks whose main concerns are how to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. If you have those basic needs unmet, global warming seems like it isn't so important. "Yeah, it's hotter this year," or "yeah, it's colder this winter" - so what!

I need heat in winter to keep alive. I'm gonna use the most inexpensive heat source I can find. Well, maybe not always the cheapest - but certainly something I can afford - not some designer fuel that costs 3 times as much.

And I need water to keep alive during the hot months and to water my livestock and irrigate my fields. If the water isn't there, we may starve - my whole family! Maybe my whole tribe!

Sometimes I think that the only way to help this planet is to clear it off and start over. The inequalities are glaring. We expect much of those who have little and little of those who have much. It doesn't make sense.

No comments: