Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Banking Frustration....

I don't know how I did it, but I got my accounts hopelessly messed up. It comes down to partial charges by Amazon for shipments that I record when I place the order for the full amount, which they charge for only the amount that is shipped. Then, I compounded the error by transferring money several times in the wrong direction, or multiple times, (on my bookkeeping only) and then reconciling the accounts, which cleared out the detail.

I still have money in the bank, and the bank is basically right - I have an Amazon order outstanding, that was partially billed today. I have auto deposits coming in, and those will have to be recorded, as well. I'll just have to watch it carefully and make sure I don't go overdraft...

This happened because a portion of the first Amazon order didn't get shipped till after the second order started shipping, so I got the orders and figures mixed up. Then there was a transfer that was recorded to the wrong account, (at the bank and in my books) and is irreversible in my bookkeeping program.

I'm going to have to wait for the dust to settle, then do some journal entries to fix everything. Basically, no more debit card transactions or checks - only cash for a good 30-40 days. It will be tough, but I can do it. Dave Ramsey taught me how to live on cash. He's the best!

It's sure a good thing my debts are all paid up to date! I don't have to write any checks for a month!

No comments: