Thursday, May 12, 2011

Reflections on a Family Visit

I just got back from several days visiting my most local family branch. They are are special to me, and once we lived very near each other. Today, we live closer than we have in several decades.

Well, I had not been able to figure out how to visit them, due to transportation and other things, until this service rolled into town - Megabus! What a Godsend! A cheap, fairly pleasant, although time-consuming, way to get there... The hardest part for me is the sitting for 9 hours. With my back, it's tough.

So, I got to visit them. We had a recent death in the family, and that's prompted everyone to stop and reflect. To end the suspense, it's my aunt and uncle, and 2 cousins from different uncles. So, visiting was quite a big deal, and everyone was glad to see everyone else. It was very nice. The visit was not too long, so the "fish didn't stink" and it wasn't too hard on anyone. I was actually just getting homesick the day before I left, so all is well on all fronts.

You know that old saw - "fish and family, tend to smell after 3 days..."

I got some insights into character (which always fascinates me), and we caught up a little bit about the various other branches of the family.

No photos were taken. This was not a photo-op moment. Yes, I had my camera with me. We just didn't think about it. We were too busy visiting with our hearts, eyes and words.

My 2nd cousins will be nice to see grow up. It's special to watch them. I last saw them as children, and now they are adults. I love them all, very much.

I'm glad I went. I'm glad there was no pressing need in our lives to prompt the visit. I'm glad we love each other and this visit enlarged that love.

My cats missed me as much as I missed them. They all came for cuddles in my chair last night after they ate.

I'll get a massage today to work out the kinks, and get about the business of living again. I have many chores and things to do today.

No comments: