Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cell Phones

When I get a cell-phone, I'm suspicious of it. They never last in my life for very long.

The one I just de-commissioned was because the company that issued it would not honor their contract with me. When my contract says I get x-amount of minutes per month, I expect to see those credited to the time on the phone.

They consistently halved my minutes, so I cut up the sim-card (the little card inside the phone with your phone number - it makes the phone work) and packed it all up (sim-card included) and sent it back to the company. Of course, I included documentation, and a photograph of the contents of the box, and I sent it registered, return-receipt. I know all too well how people and companies, particularly unethical companies like this one, will try to say that so-and-so never happened.

Anyway, I don't like cell-phones. I spent $13 to have a bumper-sticker made up that says "Hang Up And Drive" and I pasted it on the back window - low enough that I won't get a ticket, and high enough that the gal in the SUV in the next lane with the phone on her ear will see it while she's veering into my car. I'm sick of it!

There's even a story today in the news about a driver who was texting while driving and drove right into a home! These things ought to be outlawed while driving.

I saw a kid, absolutely dejected, spending time with his weekend-dad, and the guy (Dad) was on the phone for over an hour. The poor kid was about to cry, and didn't dare, because that might ruin his time with Dad. I felt so bad for the kid, I wanted to take the phone and step on it. Maybe Dad would pay attention to his kid. DAD - HONOR WHAT'S IN FRONT OF YOU!

I saw a Mom, 2 little kids running wild in the store, totally oblivious to her kids destroying merchandise, pulling things off shelves, and running into people, while she was engrossed in the conversation with someone miles away. Those kids were out of control! MOM - TAKE CARE OF YOUR KIDS!

I have a class where the teacher has said if your phone rings or you answer it while in class, you will be failed for the day. Your attendance will be struck from the book. How can you possibly pay attention in class when you are on the phone? Texting or talking - it all splits your attention. STUDENTS - YOU ARE PAYING A LOT OF MONEY TO FAIL CLASSES!

Telephones in and of themselves are an evil invention. No other appliance rancors, demanding immediate attention, as much as the telephone. Husbands and wives in the middle of life-changing discussions, and the phone rings, so the discussion is never concluded. All that emotion just left to build up in the nervous system. Topics never resolved, anger with no target, no release. Concentration broken, solutions never reached.

A friend of mine doesn't take phone calls during certain hours of the day. I find that a refreshing attitude. She won't answer the cell phone or the office phone. It all goes to voice mail. She gets a lot of work done, because she follows that path. Even her parents and children know to not call. If it's an emergency, there are ways to get her attention, just not by phone.

Just think about what you do when you talk on the phone. Every one and every thing around you fades into the background. You are on the phone. The person on the other end of the line has your attention and your focus. You aren't here. You aren't now.

Put it down and turn it off.

No comments: