Monday, December 6, 2010

Respect!

I am a Christian. However, I'm also a Sabbath-Keeper. In many ways, I identify with the Adventist church, but in others, I do not. Of all the sabbath-keeping churches, the Adventists are the only ones I found that contain and spread the Grace of Jesus Christ.

So, I was invited and went to a Women's Tea at a local Christian church that a friend attends regularly. She invited me last year, but I got sick and could not attend. At our table, there was a woman, M, who asked a lot of invasive questions about how I met my friend, that I did not wish to answer. My friend answered them, and this bothered me. The woman had no business asking such personal questions.

She then went on to ask about my beliefs, which I shared, and my business, which I shared. She wanted to argue with me about the Sabbath, and tried to quote me chapter and verse, which I turned against her. The Bible is very clear on this for me, and I won't be swayed.

So, she turned to the other topic, my business. She wanted to know how much I charge, and I told her that the information was on the website, and gave her my card.

Mind you, this was ON the Sabbath, so money is not a topic I cared to discuss. I don't shop, answer e-mail, or practice any business on the Sabbath. I will worship, rest and honor my God in the best way I can, including going to a church I don't normally attend with a friend for breakfast and worship.

M pressed me again about my pricing later, and I said it was Saturday, and I again referred her to the website. She said "Oh, I get the JOKE" and totally pissed me off. She did apologize later, but this kind of closed-minded thinking and dissonance in the Christian system is rampant. Nobody can agree on anything, and everyone is convinced they are right. Even me.

If she should contact me to build a website for her, I will price the work very high, to encourage her to find someone else. A person who does not respect my privacy or beliefs, is not the kind of person I want to have as a client.

No comments: