Friday, March 19, 2010

Frustration - and Success!

I'm frustrated. With the IRS, my accountant, the system. I was supposed to be getting that first-time homebuyers credit, and things have delayed the funds so far out, that I can't count on them at all. Not a good thing, since they are spent - over half of it on the taxes for 2009! So, what to do??? Nothing.

Can't change city hall after all. Not unless I run for office, anyway.

Success - I've been taking the Census tests to be an enumerator at $12.75/hr. I need a job, and this is a perfect time, since I have no job and no unemployment....

Well, I kept getting the same score. Figuring it was the same section, I have been messing with the answers in that section and not really getting a better score. I took another test yesterday, and finally got the insight I needed. I'm taking it again today, and I'm confident that the 5th time will be the charm. I'll post back later, when I have the results.

The panic in my heart is about my surgery. I know I need it, but now it has to be delayed until the funds come in. I can't pay the Dr. if I don't have money. I called the office, and they are very understanding. If things get unbearable, I'll find a way to pay for the surgery. Six to eight weeks should not kill me - even if it's ovarian cancer.

On another topic completely....

How do I get from where I am, to where I want to be?

I had an interview this week with one of the call-center type places. I knew I didn't want to be there, but also know that without interviewing, I won't get a job. Period.

It was so painfully obvious to both the lady (Brenda) and myself, that I didn't belong there. It was a waste of her time, but it wasn't for me. I needed to see how far I've changed.

So, how do I get from here to there? I'm supposed to be helping folks, consulting, making websites better, improving online commerce. My coding skills are nominal, but improving. It's just the Javascript that I'm on now. I already have the HTML and CSS down. I also looked into the database stuff, for SQL, so I can incorporate the data tables on the pages. I've about got forms and stuff down. While I don't code new flash stuff, I can incorporate it. But all this is self-taught.

Thank you w3schools.org....

I'm intimidated by the folks who have the degrees in computers. I know that my experience counts for a lot, and my self-learning has put me in a position to blow them all out of the water - but I'm still intimidated by college-earned degrees.

Maybe it's a hold-over from mom...

Well, called a fellow about an interview on Monday. Maybe something will come of that...

No comments: