Friday, June 17, 2016

Grapefruit diet?

I remember the "grapefruit diet" from over 40 years ago. It was a popular, fad diet. All you ate was grapefruit. It excluded other foods.

However, there is a new blind study that shows grapefruit should be an addition, not a solitary source of food for weight loss. In the study, the subject eats 1/2 grapefruit before each meal. Grapefruit juice was nearly as effective. The effect was genuine when compared to placebo.

Here's the latest study...
http://bit.ly/1V8x2XJ
Also found here....
http://1.usa.gov/1WWNpgl

This latest research also supports gut health studies found elsewhere. 

I was sharing some of the information on gut health with a person who doesn't believe in probiotic science, calling it "woo-science." Even though the ties to health are documented in blind studies conducted by real scientists. I've heard of people nay-saying science before, but this was my first experience with one. 

Probiotics and gut health may be all the rage, but that doesn't mean they aren't important. We are just learning about this stuff. Science and health news is still developing because nobody thought to study good health, only disease mechanisms. 

I'm interested in all this because of disease and it's link to a healthy lifestyle. The links to nutrition are impossible for me to ignore. I don't know if I'm a throwback or what, but I have always believed that food, nutrition and lifestyle are the basis for a healthy life.  

I may not always eat in a healthy way, and my lack of exercise may be partly to blame for my health problems. But that doesn't mean I don't see the connections!

No comments: