Thursday, March 29, 2012

Online Hiring Agents and New College Degrees

I'm in college again. I'm getting my Bachelors and a Masters degrees. This should put me heads above the competition, right?

WRONG!

Those online hiring agents don't really care. They kick you offline if you answer a question truthfully but in a way that puts you in the denial pile. And if you don't answer truthfully, you are subject to being fired as soon as you are hired for lying.

So what to do?

I've decided to ignore them. If I want a position with a company or college, I'll submit transcripts and resume with a cover letter the old-fashioned way. If they want me to fill in one of the online screeners, they can kiss my A$$. I won't do it.

I'm an honest person. I won't lie just to pass a computer screening program. I tell the truth and let the chips fall where they will. When I was younger, I wasn't such a nice person, but I grew up and mended my ways. There is no way for the computer to make that distinction.

This is a great big hole in the way things are done now. A person with a "past" is screened out of opportunities. Even when they change and grow and become a better person because of it.

That is not progress, but denial of opportunities and discrimination.

No comments: