Friday, March 25, 2011

Unemployed again....

I got laid off today. I hate being unemployed. When I screw up, then maybe I deserve to lose my job. But this time, nope!

I got this job because I have a certain zip code. That's what it is. They needed somebody from my zip code to qualify as a certain kind of federal contractor. So, I live here, and it is what it is.

Well, there have been some changes in personnel, and they hired 2 people from this zip code for full time jobs. I didn't even get a glance for one of them.

It isn't because I'm a bad employee, but because I lose my voice every day. I have really bad asthma and allergies around here and I lose my voice. I can't pay for the meds they want me to take for it, and I hate the side effects. My body can't handle it. So, I lose my voice. No biggie for me - I hate talking on the phone anyway.

So, I was ignored for the call-out jobs, and that's what it is, too.

On top of that, I was offered a fill-in part time job doing some research at the courthouse, since I was already working downtown. Without this job (the one I just lost), I'll have to make other parking arrangements, but anything I pay out (not reimbursed) is deductible from my taxes, and I know how to keep track of it all. I don't know if I'll get the second job or not, but it would be nice. It has the same number of hours, but it pays a little better.

I'm in school, and I have Tuesday and Thursday morning class. I can't miss the class. Next semester, all my classes are evening classes, so school will be much more "work hour friendly" than this semester. But for now, I need those mornings for school.

At least, this time, I can file for unemployment. It won't be for much, but it will be a little bit.

I guess I'll do my homework this weekend, then just spend the next couple of days cleaning my house really well. It could use it, and the cats will like having me home.

Yeah, right now my attitude is OK, but who knows what it will be like later.

Another good thing is that the bills are paid - all except the house payment anyway. I was able to really pay stuff up and off with the last student loan check. So I'm not doing too bad. I have money in the bank and another paycheck coming. That will be the "waiting week" for unemployment, and the following week I should get a small stipend. Very small.

No comments: