Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Overwhelm and News

It used to be that we read the newspaper in the morning, and caught the news around suppertime. We could go about our days and pray for the unfortunates we heard about, and otherwise deal with our days and our lives.

Now, with 24/7 coverage, we are bombarded with the bad news all the time. We have the morning programs, 24/7 coverage, hourly updates on the radio and TV... We can't escape it. Everywhere we go, we are bombarded with the bad news.

It's a lot like "1984" with the TV blaring and the cameras everywhere, "Big Brother" watching us.

I have to tune out. I must, for my sanity. I can pray for the unfortunates, and donate to Red Cross, but there is really nothing else I can do. I don't choose to feel bad because there are people in the world having problems. Whether of their own making or not!

Wars are of their own making - Revolts and Uprisings are of their own making. Natural disasters - earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanos, those are not of their making. Nothing I can do in any case. I don't have to feel bad. It may be my turn in an hour.

So, I choose to tune out. Join me, why don't you????

1 comment:

Covnitkepr1 said...

You know...you're right.

My wife and I just tape the good stuff we want to watch and leave the TV off all day.

LOL...when Japan got hit with the quake...we didn't find out about it till Bible study that Wednesday evening.
I’ve been following and enjoying your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.