Saturday, February 27, 2010

Unemployed Again...

I've joined the 20-25% of unemployed workers who don't/can't collect unemployment benefits.

I lost my position on Thursday - not completely unexpected, but unpleasant news nonetheless. It is a little scary, because the company is not based in the US, and does not pay into the unemployment benefit system. I can't collect because there is nothing on file for the last 2 years. No employment on file. Great!

They've given a small severance package, and as long as I'm frugal, I can make it till May 1 - Barely.

So, I'm de-compressing this week - maybe next as well. I'll work on my home, clean, prep, update the resume, and so on.

Then, I'll go to looking.

I will mention that I've already got one thing on Monday that may lead to a position in April. Timing was good on that one...


On another topic, I heard God yelling at me this morning to get OUT OF BED and GO!!!

I had the clock set for 10:am. A friend called at 10:30, and then a fellow actually knocked (not using the doorbell) very loudly at 11. So, I got up, showered and got to luncheon with my friend.

The fellow was an evangelist for a local Baptist church. If that wasn't God telling me to get up, I don't know what was. So, I ended up going to McKay's and picked up 4 books. I still have a little more credit with them.

So far, a good day.

I'll finish pulling stuff out of the way to move my dresser, and next week I can begin putting my craft room together.

My neighbor had a great idea, too -- Instead of putting down flooring when I pull the carpet in the living room, have the concrete finished in the color palette I want. A lot cheaper than flooring, but I won't get to put the heated floor system on it. Rugs work...

1 comment:

Audrey said...

My goodness, Morgen! I finally got around to checking out your LinkedIn listing and discovered this post.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. It's never a happy event to find yourself out of work -- well, I can think of once when I was delirious, but I had quit, which is quite a different thing.

All the best as you follow leads.