Friday, April 20, 2012

Story is Completed!

YEA! I got the story done. I'm not completely satisfied with it, but it's done.

My deadlines are April 24, for the story version; and the screenplay version is due on May 3rd. Both are done. I finished it all last night, including figuring out "whodunit" and getting the article back to the original.

My characters could be stronger, there could be more plot complications, the character arcs could be better, but for a first time attempt, it's not bad at all. And it's certainly more than I ever could do before these classes.

I still have to do the "beat sheet" for the screenwriting class, but I re-did the logline/premise, since the original story was so reworked it no longer fit the old logline. And I'm not all that sure about the title.

But who cares! It's done!

I couldn't have done it without the classes, professors, and the most supportive writing environment I've ever known. This is not to say that all writing environments are hostile, but in my experience, editors can be notoriously critical. Are these efforts worthy of publication? In a small way, yes, but in the true sense of the word, I would never inflict this on a reading public. There are holes and incongruities all through it. One character is so weak and wimpy I'd sooner kick her butt than admit I wrote her that way. Things happen and she doesn't speak up or react at all. What a wimp! My villain is not evil enough, and my antagonist is supposed to be more evil but is only kind of evil. The whole thing has holes, like I said.

But to be able to write over 30 pages of fiction - ME! What a concept! What an accomplishment!

Perhaps, one day, I'll go back into this story and work it through. Maybe I'll take the characters and put them through their paces and make them "real" in my head. Maybe I'll fix the holes in the plot. And I have two other stories I wrote in my 20s that I'd like to put through this same process.

But for now, I'm walking away, glad to have made it this far. The sense of accomplishment is enough. The knowledge that I gave it all I had to give at the time is enough.

For now, I need to step away from school and clean the house, do laundry, and really scrub this place down. I have to clear out cat hair, cat puke, dust and body powder. I need to de-flea and deodorize the place. I need to open the windows and let light and air into the house. I need to work on my yard before the city does the lawn.

Yep, my life needs some attention, and I have a few weeks before summer school starts. I need the time.

And for now, I'm going to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. I've done the work my teachers wanted me to do. I've completed the assignments. Both my classes were more of a "complete the projects" than getting test-as-you-go grades. Just turn in the work at the end of the semester for grades. So, I'm pretty much guaranteed a decent grade in these classes, which will help with GPA.

And I learned quite a bit. I'll be forever grateful to my professors. Edward Francisco has quite a few credits to his name, including publications and teaching. The other, Rob Lloyd, has a different list of credits to his name, in television news and gameshows, and scripts. Both are experts in the worlds they inhabit. To find these men at the junior college level is amazing!

Oxford and Gannett, both represented at Pellissippi. We are truly blessed.

No comments: