Thursday, February 16, 2012

Tired of Being Tired

It seems I can't sleep. Then, when I get to sleep, I'm awake a couple of hours later and can't get back to sleep right away. It's broken sleep. When I wake, I have to use the bathroom - no buts about it, get there. Or, I'm in pain, and then to get back to sleep I have to get up and go to the bathroom, not just adjust. My bladder demands it. I generally awaken within 25 minutes of the alarm going off, and just get up early.

Last night, I started with Zyrtec for my allergies. Since it makes one drowsy, I'm taking it at night instead of the morning, so I won't have to drive while drowsy. I didn't have my typical night. I awakened several times - like "stark-raving-awake" but didn't have to go to the bathroom, wasn't in pain, and no reason that I could figure out that I was awake. I was on my side. My nose/sinuses were filled when I got up to the alarm, and draining was going on.

I was able to go back to sleep, it seems. I woke to the alarm from a deeper state of sleep, very sleepy and groggy. It took a full cup of coffee to get me going, and I was seeing double and yawning.

What happens is that I don't sleep at night, and somewhere in the afternoon, I drift off, unable to keep my eyes open, and sleep anywhere from 20 minutes to 5 hours in my chair. It usually occurs after eating carbs, so I've thought my diet was to blame, and insulin resistance. Now, I see that it also has to do with my terrible sleeping issues at night.

My doctor said she was going to schedule a sleep study, but it hasn't been scheduled, yet.

I feel like a failure when I can't get anything done, but with being this tired all the time, it's no wonder nothing gets done. No matter how much B-12 I take, I can't over come lack of sleep without actually sleeping.

No comments: